Friday, January 3, 2014

9 December 2013 Last email home!

Thank you Mom and Dad for being really supportive during this whole time. I know you screened the difficult things in your life a little so I wouldn't know. I hope that I'll be able to come home and help you as much as you can.
I realized very quickly in the MTC that not everybody's parents liked the idea of their children serving missions. I'm glad that you did. I don't think I could have done this emotionally without you.
Oh, and thanks for keeping me updated on people we know. Hardly anybody else's families gave so much information. It helped me not feel so much out of the loop.
Dear Everyone,
Before I forget, somebody tell Miriam and Salem Happy Birthday for me, ok?
Oh my goodness! I AM SO HAPPY for Cyndie! I hadn't seen her for over a year even before my mission and I can't wait to finally see her when I get home.

Gaaa! I want to know what's up with Sadie!!! I know she's probably not in Brazil yet, but the poor thing has waited such a long time.

KC's mission situation sounds super unique and interesting. I am so proud of him for wanting to serve the Lord. I'm thinking that while I'm in SLC visiting Soeur Bernhardt that I'll try to visit him too. I wonder if I could get a tour of the Distribution Center. Not gonna lie, I'm not exactly sure what they distribute....
Well, if I do get to see Uncle Don during my layover on Thursday (in Detroit) that would mean I would see him before you, Mom and Dad! Haha! I bet any members of the Church who might be at the airport who would see me with my name tag hugging a bunch of people would assume they were the family I was coming home to. If they ask I'll just tell them that they are the "practice round".

Yes, I did get Lauren's email and the picture! She and I have been writing each other our whole missions and we both feel that we've gotten closer because of it. She really is such an example of pure faith and love for God. I know that we'll continue being close for years.
So we got to use Skype with Valijas to talk with the Albanian Elders. It's sooo cool to see how technology is helping the Gospel be spread. The mother and older two daughters were there the first time. The brother and father didn't come because they weren't sure what would happen, and their lives in Kosovo, as men, were really in danger. But the daughters said afterward that they'll both want to come now that they know what's happening exactly.
The missionaries in Blois have been baptizing so much that we're mostly teaching recent converts. We're busy, but we really need to find some new amis. Maggy is getting integrated into the Ward by attending church and Relief Society activities, etc. She even told her son that when he visits they can't do ANYTHING Sunday mornings so she could go to church
Soeur Doyle found out that she'll be serving next transfer with Soeur Rhondeau, her first name is Olivia, and I lived in the French house (at BYU) with her. They'll be great together. Soeur Judd is going to be going to Versailles! She wanted to serve in Paris soooo much and is very excited.

Something that Lauren said in her last email touched me. She mentioned things she has been grateful for and I realize that I didn't talk about that during my Thanksgiving email. I decided that there isn't better time to talk about such a subject than during my last email home.

My companions are constantly asking what I feel at the end of my mission and if I'm scared, happy or what. I always say I don't know because there are such so many emotions right now. I don't know if anybody can explain what it feels like, only those who have done it. However Lauren’s comment helped me put into words, at least a little part of what I feel.
Gratitude. My mission has meant everything to me. I have seen people change and I have been changed. For the better. For the best! You try and try to return some to the Lord for all that he has given you and all you end of doing is being blessed even more. I know that our Heavenly Father and Elder Brother Jesus Christ love us so much. I have felt that love over and over and over again. They are so real and so present in our lives. We just need to search for them.
I want to express gratitude for all those who have read my emails and said encouraging words during the past 17 months (I can't lie and say I'm doing a full 18, darn it!). I'm grateful for the cards, letters and gifts I have received. I know that your support for me and my family has made the hard moments a litter easier and the good moments even greater!
To finish, I'd like to use a quote from Joseph Smith:
"The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it."
As a missionary my goal was to preach of Christ. I testified of Joseph Smith, the Restoration, the Plan of Salvation, Baptism, etc and I know those things are true. But in the end, my true testimony echoes that written in Doctrine and Covenants 76.22-24, "That he lives!". I KNOW that Christ is the Son of God and that he loves us so much. This love drove him to make the greatest sacrifice possible and for that I am forever grateful.
My greatest desire for anyone reading this right now is to sincerely pray to know He is there and to feel His love. Pray to know what you should do to find happiness and be closer to Him and our Heavenly Father. Pay attention to your feelings. I know things will work out for your good.
I love you all,

Bethany

This is Bethany's sister Laura. I hope you all have enjoyed reading Bethany's emails over the past year and half. I've enjoyed posting them on here for you. I'm grateful that Bethany was able to come home safely and with honor and that I was able to spend time with her before she returned to college and before I leave on my mission to Nampa, Idaho. God bless America. Go Cougs!

No comments:

Post a Comment